October 28, 2021

Nazi salute during Nice-Marseille: a Nice supporter sentenced to one year suspended prison sentence and three years stadium ban

On August 22, he gave a Nazi salute in the Allianz Riviera grandstand, during the Mediterranean derby. The match had degenerated in the stand as on the field, supporters had invaded the lawn.

Article written by


Reading time : 1 min.

A Nice supporter, suspected of having made a Nazi salute during the Nice-Marseille match at the Allianz Riviera on August 22, was sentenced Wednesday, October 13 to a one-year suspended prison sentence and three years of stadium ban for ” provocation to racial hatred and apology for war crimes and crimes against humanity “, reports France Bleu Azur. The 30-year-old man was filmed doing the kippah gesture and a Nazi salute during the Mediterranean derby which had largely degenerated. He had been placed in detention for 18 days and appeared free on Wednesday before the Nice Criminal Court.

The Mrap, the Licra, SOS Racisme and the Crif had formed civil parties, as well as the Professional Football League and the OGC Nice. All its civil parties demanded that these acts be severely condemned. The lawyer of the LFP put forward the wish “to purify the stages of this kind of behavior”. For his part, the defense lawyer presented his client as a supporter who “was not aware, nor the will to defend a crime against Humanity”. He pointed a “world cup of human stupidity” and mentioned the “skid” of a man who is not “a nostalgic for the Third Reich, nor a follower of nauseating ideologies, but someone a little less equipped than others”. The Niçois explained his gesture as a provocation towards the Marseillais, “because the Niçois have the reputation of being racist in the gallery”. He regretted a “horrible gesture” and said to be aware of having “hurt a lot of people”.

Another Nice supporter who kicked Dimitri Payet during the incidents that led to the definitive termination of the Nice-Marseille match was sentenced on September 30 to a one-year suspended prison sentence and five years of stadium ban. The trial of five other Nice supporters, suspected of having invaded the lawn that same evening, has been postponed until next February.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *