April 16, 2021

On Corriere Salute: remaking the breast (even after a tumor)


We are publishing a preview of an article in the new Corriere Salute. You can read the full text on the issue at newsstands for free on Thursday 15 October or in Pdf on the Digital Edition of Corriere della Sera.

What do Acireale, Chieti, Pordenone, San Severo and Rho have in common? The same number of inhabitants, approximately 51 thousand. As many as there are, more or less, the new cases of breast cancer registered every year in Italy. And as many as there are breast implants implanted annually in our country: most of them for aesthetic purposes (63 percent), but the share of devices used to reconstruct the breast in women who have had to undergo surgery for cancer is also very significant. (the remaining 37 percent).

Dangerous prostheses

Now imagine an entire city in fear when the announcement is made of the withdrawal of some types of prostheses from the market because they are defective and when, subsequently, it is assumed that it is necessary to explant dangerous prostheses because, in some very rare cases, the prostheses can cause an equally rare form of blood cancer: anaplastic large cell lymphoma. What to do? Remove implants or not? And, for all women who want to have their breasts replaced from now on, is it possible to do it safely or not? About a year after the last alarms launched in France and England, we are trying to clarify what has now been ascertained, the measures adopted by our Ministry of Health and what all women know well.

You can continue reading the article on Health Courier on newsstands for free on Thursday 15 October or in Pdf on the Digital Edition of Corriere della Sera.

October 14, 2020 (change October 14, 2020 | 18:01)

© REPRODUCTION RESERVED



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *